Do you have trouble choosing a breakfast cereal or yoghurt due to confusing food labels? With thousands of food products on supermarket shelves all claiming to have different nutrition and health benefits it is not surprising that supermarket shopping can be overwhelming and confusing.
Whether you just want to eat healthy, lose weight or have a medical condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, irritable bowel syndrome, kidney disease or coeliac disease, a guided Supermarket Savvy tour with one of our highly knowledgeable Accredited Practising Dietitians is a great option.
Whilst navigating the aisles on your Supermarket Savvy tour you will learn:
- how to read and understand Nutrition Information Panels and ingredients lists
- specific nutrient criteria to use to guide food purchases
- the best food choices to meet your specific nutritional needs
- understand common misleading nutrition claims
- understand nutrition terms and Australian symbols such as ‘Low Fat’, 'Low Sugar', 'Low Carbohydrate', 'High Protein', ‘High Fibre’, ‘Low GI’, 'Low Fructose', 'FODMAP Friendly', 'Health Star Rating'
- how to shop smartly to save money
- the tricks commonly used by food manufacturers to seduce you into food purchases
- how supermarket psychology influences your food choices
- the difference between Use-by-Date and Best Before Date
- how to avoid impulse purchases
- storage and safe handling of your groceries
- clever smart phone Apps to assist with shopping
- our Dietitians favourite must have food purchases
The tours run for 1.5 hours and are hands-on so you can get the most out of the tour. We can run tours for individuals or groups of up to 8 people or we can also tailor a tour specifically to suit your requirements. Each participant receives a Supermarket Savvy Kit packed full of useful resources and information and you will also be eligible to claim a rebate through your Private Health Insurance fund.